This coastal protection project for Tendring District Council was awarded to VBA JV Ltd in May 2014. VBA is a consortium comprising VolkerStevin, Boskalis Westminster and Atkins that was established to secure works through the Water and Environmental Management Framework (WEM).
The frontage at Clacton and Holland-on-Sea is located on a south-easterly facing section of the Essex coastline with exposure to the North Sea. The frontage included within the project is approximately 5 kilometres in length, stretching from Clacton Pier at the southern end to Holland on Sea to the north.
Designed by Mott MacDonald, the works comprise:
- Demolition of the existing groynes
- Construction of twenty two fishtail rock groynes and one terminal rock groyne
- Capital beach recharge along the whole frontage
- New promenade handrailing
The approximate principal quantities were:
- 300,000 tonnes of rock armour
- 1,000,000 m³ of beach recharge